Wednesday 9 April 2014

How I get back after a break


Most of us have had to take a break. Sometimes because of injuries, sometimes because of health reasons and sometimes because there are other priorities getting back is the key this is what I do to make my coming back on track easier

Don’t wait for the right day to start:
The minute I am feeling better I get back to my workouts. I don’t wait for the next Monday or the next weekend to start my routine. I feel the more you push your workouts away the harder it will be to get back so start as soon as you can

Keep away from Numbers:
If I have been on a break because of injury or because I was ill I give myself the same amount of time I missed my workout to catch up with my measurements. For example I was not on track with my workouts for the past 3 weeks so I will give myself 3 weeks before I check my measurements. I do this only when I know missing my workouts was not an excuse I could have avoided because I don’t want to be frustrated or blame myself for taking a break when I needed to

Jump on the Scale (this for when I have made excuses):
This one is the exact opposite of the above point. If you have been naughty, if you have made excuses and missed your workouts when you could have (like when you are on vacation, you can always fit in a workout but if you have not done that then this point is for you). If I have gone off-track then I want to see how  much harm I have done by making excuses...hopefully this will stop me from making excuses the next time. 

Workouts might be a little tougher:
In the last 3 weeks I did not run outside as usual so when I did go for my run after a break I did find it tougher, my legs did hurt more than usual..again I give myself the same amount of time I missed to get back to my fitness level.

Start slowly:
If you have got back after an injury or illness then it’s good to take it slow, what I do is I see how much I can do and keep pushing myself in my first workout back to decide my level. I make sure I don’t push myself too much because I don’t want to injure myself and go back on break

Always make the best choice you can:
I always try to make the best choice I can in any situation. So if I can’t get out to workout then I will work out at home, if I can’t go for a run I might just go for a long walk. If I can’t workout at all that does not mean I will stop eating healthy that means I will make sure I am eating cleaner than usual.

What do you think? What do you do when you have to take a break?


Keep Reading I will Keep Writing   
Tanvee

13 comments:

  1. Yeah I mostly do the same as you but I check scale very less. Also I m not able to maintain strict diet. I have to make way to follow strictly. Can u suggest how to ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gopinath, next post is to answer your question :) I hope you find it useful

      Delete
    2. Thank you. You nailed it.

      Delete
  2. You have a lot of good points in this post. I like to get back to my routine ASAP. When it's an injury there are ways to keep active without aggravating injuries. You just have to be creative at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes being creative is also important..I think a lot us forget that..just because we can't do a particular workout we don't do anything..I am always ready with back up plans :)
      thanks for your comment

      Delete
  3. Hi Tanvee

    Having trouble posting this comment - so hope it comes through ok.

    What you say here I agree with "I always try to make the best choice I can in any situation. So if I can’t get out to workout then I will work out at home, if I can’t go for a run I might just go for a long walk. If I can’t workout at all that does not mean I will stop eating healthy that means I will make sure I am eating cleaner than usual."

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Jan :) I hope you have no issues commenting for my next post

      Delete
  4. Some good and useful tips, especially the "always make the best choice you can"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haddock...it's nice to meet another blogger from Pune :)

      Delete
  5. Great post! You have some really good pointers for getting back on track with working out, and I will take them to heart as I am just getting back to it after a very long break. It wasn't due to injury or any other kind of good reason, just due to foolish lifestyle choices over the winter. I especially like the tips of not waiting for the "right time" to start again, and jump on the scale immediately.

    Thank you for your great advice!

    ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine , I hope you are back on track and I am so glad you find the post useful..thanks for commenting

      Delete