Saturday 20 September 2014

Natvia - natural sweetener


I don’t add sugar or any sweetener to my coffee or tea and I have been able to replace sugar with fruits, dates in my desserts but T can’t survive without it so I always get worried when I see him add sugar to his coffee or his porridge I have tried a lot to get T to reduce the amount of sugar he has and I have managed to reduce it a bit but not as much as I would have liked to.
So when Nativa got in touch with me I was very happy because they said it was a 100% natural sweetener, the word natural made me happy :). The next step was to actually see if Natvia was really a good enough replacement for sugar.  I distributed a few samples to my friends who use sugar in their coffee to get their feedback and I also used it for a few of my favorite breakfast recipes for T. 
I loved their packaging :) :)


Most people were pleasantly surprised and thought it was a good substitute for sugar, I had one person who said she needed a little more of Natvia as compared to sugar and another who said she needed a little less either ways both said it did the job, both were happy about no after taste, no calories so till you can’t give up sugar completely Natvia sounds like a good replacement.
For my experiment I decided to make two batches of T's favourite breakfast recipes one with sugar and one with Natvia, then I asked T for his opinion and surprisingly he could not differentiate between the two which was such a relief (so now I have something natural that T could switch to)
I tried Natvia in the following recipes

Oat pancake
Ingredients
  1. 135gm of oats flour 
  2. 1 tsp baking powder 
  3. ½ tsp salt 
  4. 2 tbsp Natvia 
  5. 130ml milk 
  6. 1 large egg, lightly beaten 
  7. Olive oil for cooking 
  8. Chopped fruits
Method
  1. Lightly whisk together the milk and egg 
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and Natvia into a large bowl 
  3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter.       
  4.  Heat a non-stick frying pan and make your pancakes 
  5.  Serve with a mix of fruits

Overnight chia seed and oats
Ingredients
  1. 1 cup of oats 
  2. 1 cup of almond milk 
  3.  2 red apples 
  4. 5 teaspoons of chia seeds 
  5. 3 teaspoons of raw agave syrup (I replaced this with 2 teaspoons of Natvia) 
  6. 1 heaped teaspoon of cinnamon 
  7. 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract (I skipped this, didn't have any)
  8. 1 cup of strawberries 
  9. handful of almonds to sprinkle on the top for crunch
Method
  1. Peel and core the apples, then cut them into small chunks and boil until they become nice and soft. Once the apples are cooked, drain them and then mash them with a fork 
  2. Place the strawberries in a food processor and blend for one minute 
  3. Place the oats, chia seeds, almond milk, vanilla, Natvia and cinnamon into a bowl and mix. 
  4. Layer the oats mixture, mashed apples and the strawberry in a glass. Top it with a few nuts 
  5. Leave in the fridge overnight for a yummy breakfast

Both these recipes turned out well so I am going to go ahead and try a few more in the coming weeks. I would love to know if any one of you has used Natvia or any other natural sweetener.

*This product was provided to me at no cost. All opinions mentioned are my own and of people with whom I shared the product

Keep Reading I will Keep Writing  

Tanvee

2 comments:

  1. Both the recipes look really good. :)
    I wish I could find Natvia here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U can try stevia too its good :)

    ReplyDelete